A wiki for capturing and sharing biological knowledge
Much of the knowledge produced by biological research is passed down by oral tradition.
This makes it difficult for newcomers to enter the field.
- Easy and collaborative content generation
- Community discourse
Labs on OpenWetWare
Integrating OpenWetWare into research
A sociological discipline which focuses on the ways in which people make sense of their world, display this understanding to others, and produce the mutually shared social order in which they live. (Wikipedia)
Dysfunctionality of Model Publishing
figure: Ty Thomson
Systematization and Data Standards
- Standards for models
- MIRIAM - Minimum Information Requested in the Annotation of Biochemical Models
- SBML - Systems Biology Markup Language
- Communicating with computers, not people
- Rigid, one-way "conversation"
Donald Knuth, 1981
Write programs primarily for humans, not computers
Ty Thomson, MIT
80-20 Rule / Pareto Principle
How do we communicate the final 20% ?
Conversation is robust, and necessary anyway
- 2,800 contributors
- 100 labs
- 1.5 million pageviews per month
- 275,000 sessions per month