- Revise, revise, revise. The purpose of this wiki is to serve as a forum through which people can share ideas, protocols, tips and any other information that might be relevant to the community. So the more you add new pages and edit existing pages, the more useful they become.
- Be respectful of user pages.
- Before adding a new protocol, check to see whether the protocol already exists. If you change the existing protocol, please justify and explain your changes. Likewise, if you would rather post a new version of a protocol, go ahead, but explain why. Feel free to add as much as possible to the wiki, but please document all nontrivial changes.
- See the Wikipedia policy on minor edits.
- Try to capitalize only the first word in a page title (sentence caps format). For instance, use Electrocompetent cells instead of Electrocompetent Cells. This convention makes it easier for an editor to link to a page, since there's no need to check the original capitalization. Creating a link beginning with a lower-case letter will link to a target page with the first letter capitalized, which also makes initial caps more universal. Abbreviations, acronyms, and proper names are clearly exceptions, e.g., Colony PCR and user pages.
- When adding a new page use your best judgement as to whether is something which is targetted to the community at large, or is more specific to your group. For instance: Research vs. Endy:Research. Same goes for members, meetings, talks, etc. If it is something specific to your group, try and include the group's name in the title. (e.g. Endy:Research, Endy Lab Research, Endy's Insane Research, etc.) The convention has been 'Group:Page title', but it's not too critical that you use that. The reason for this is that on the wiki you can only have one page named 'X', so we have to share the common terms.