Tips You (Mostly) Won't Find in the Manual
- Use 1 colony in 2 mL of TB +antibiotic grown overnight.
- TB gives you a higher plasmid yield than LB, but our lab currently doesn't make it (Janet 2/23/12). If your plasmid is high-copy number, one tube is sufficient. If you have a medium copy plasmid, grow 2-3 cultures from the same colony in parallel and pool them before loading the column.
- Elute in water, not the elution buffer that comes with the kit.
- The elution buffer stabilizes DNA and reduces DNase activity, but comes at a cost -- the added chemicals are likely to lessen DNA sequencing and subsequent DNA manipulation successes.
- 2 mL of pSB1A3 (high copy) should yield ~ 150 ng/uL in 30 uL.
- 2 2mL pSB3K3 (medium copy) cultures grown in parallel then pooled should yield ~ 30 ng/uL.
- Our lab prefers the Fermentas miniprep kit over Quiagen, though I am not sure why. -Janet 2/23/12
- Do not grow cultures with less than 4:1 air:liquid ratio -- it is very bad for plasmid prep. This is still one of Janet's open questions 2/23/12
- You can elute in 30uL instead of 50uL to get a more concentrated sample.
- Record the A260/A280 measurement down when you record the concentration. It should be between 1.8 and 2.