< Knight:RNA electrophoresis
Electrophoresis permits assessment of RNA by size and amount. In general, electrophoresis of RNA is done as a step prior to Northern analysis. However, this protocol is for visualizing the RNA in the gel.
- 10X BPTE electrophoresis buffer
- SYBR Gold
- HPLC grade or better DMSO
- Commercially available stock solutions of glyoxal contain both hydrated forms of glyoxal and oxidation products that can degrade RNA. These must be removed.
- Glyoxal reaction mixture (divide into small aliquots and store at -70°C)
- 6mL DMSO
- 2mL deionized glyoxal
- 1.2mL of 10X BPTE electrophoresis buffer
- 0.6mL of 80% glycerol