Knight:NuPAGE electrophoresis/Slow staining
A slow protocol for visualizing bands on a polyacrylamide gel via coomassie-like staining.
- Deionized water
- Invitrogen SimplyBlue SafeStain
- Plastic tray
- Orbital shaker
- Add 100mL deionized water in staining tray.
- Shake staining tray for 5 min on orbital shaker at room temperature.
- Discard water.
- Repeat steps 1-3 two more times.
- Add 20mL SimplyBlue SafeStain.
- Shake staining tray for 1 hr on orbital shaker at room temperature.
- Overnight is better for improved sensitivity.
- Add 100mL deionized water.
- Shake staining tray for 1 hr or more on orbital shaker at room temperature.
- If the gel has been stained overnight, let it destain for a few hours.
This protocol worked less well for me. However, I learned later that the typical trick people use is to include a kimwipe in the destain step to help soak up the stain. This will likely improve the signal to noise on the gel.