What needs to be diposed of as chemical waste?
- Anything with ethidium bromide, SYBR green I, SYBR green II
- Anything with polyacrylamide (including plastic with trace amounts)
- Aqueous solutions with pH less than 2 or greater than 12.5
- Materials with National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) or Hazardous Materials Identification System (HMIS) flammability hazard rating of 3 or 4
- Anything with guanidine hydrochloride (i.e., miniprep waste)
See http://web.mit.edu/environment/ehs/topic/rcra_ref/hw_char_list.html for more information.
Chemical waste containers need to be stored in secondary containers (the gray bins labeled with satellite accumulation area stickers). Incompatible chemicals cannot be stored in the same secondary container.
Red hazardous waste tags are stored in the filing cabinet outside 32-322. When they run low, request more when you submit a chemical waste pickup request at the form linked below.
Chemical waste collection form - fill out this form to request a chemical waste pickup. Be sure and give them directions to the lab as well (put this link http://openwetware.org/wiki/Knight:Contact#Directions in the comments field). Note: request a pickup just before the waste container becomes full.