|Click here to visit our NEW WEBSITE|
|The content below is most likely out of date. We also have a new lean and mean openwetware area.|
List of printers
Note: all printers print double sided (duplex) - if you have problems getting this to work, please ask Bob.
- HP Color LaserJet 4700dn on 184.108.40.206 in 6th floor lab
- HP LaserJet 2430 (b/w) on 220.127.116.11 in 6th floor lab
- Canon LBP3370 (b/w) on 18.104.22.168 in Room 520 (RIP: HP P2015dn)
- HP Laserjet 2200 Series PCL 5 (b/w) on 22.214.171.124 in 5th floor lab
- HP Laserjet 2200 Series PCL 5 (b/w) on 126.96.36.199 in 4th floor
Please please please: replace toner when needed (shake and replace first - sometimes this gets another 1000 pages!) - and put the old cartridge and box on Bob or Yasmeen's desk so that we can re-order well before your next major deadline.
Windows Vista: Instructions for setting up a printer
- Click on "Add a printer" in the control panel under "Printers"
- Click on "Add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer"
- The printer will not be in the list so select "Add a printer using a TCP/IP adress or hostname"
- Paste IP adress (e.g. 188.8.131.52) or hostname (e.g. bio-fckprn.saf.ic.ac.uk) and click OK once
Windows XP: Instructions for setting up a printer
- In the control panel under "Printers and Faxes" click "Add printer"
- Select "Local Printer attached to this computer" but unselect the tickbox for P&P below
- Choose "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port"
- Paste IP adress (e.g. 184.108.40.206) or hostname (e.g. bio-fckprn.saf.ic.ac.uk) and click Next
- Select manufacturer and model and then click next (Note that there is a generic "HP LaserJet" driver that you can use)
- Click next a few times (You do not need to share your printer) and then finish
MacOS: instructions for setting up a printer
- Open "System Preferences" and select "Print & Fax"
- Click on the plus sign (+) below the printers list
- Click on "IP" in the top panel
- Paste IP adress (e.g. 220.127.116.11)
- Wait until it says "Valid and complete address"
- Click "Add" and then "Continue" on the next screen
Alternative method: (doesn't seem to work for some people/versions)
- Open Utilities -> Printer Setup Utility
- Select "Default Browser"
- Enter "Room 520" in search box
- Find and select printer
- Click OK a few times
At least one of our printers (room 520) will wait for you to press a button on the actual printer before printing a "Letter" document on A4 paper if you are using a mac. If your Mac has "Letter" paper as default in "Page Setup" for all applications, you can change this: Go to Applications → Utilities → Printer Setup Utility → Preferences. Change the default paper option to A4.
It should work... please don't all print a test-page!