- PhD, 2012, Bioengineering at Caltech
- S.B. 2006, Chemical Engineering and Biology at MIT
- Postdoc in the Marx Lab, Harvard Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology
- Graduate student in the Smolke Lab, Caltech/Stanford Bioengineering. Collaborated with Frances Arnold (Caltech ChemE) and Jens Nielsen (Chalmers Systems Bio)
- UROP in the Endy Lab at MIT
Bioengineering - Smolke Lab
Y2E2-B07, MC 4200
473 Via Ortega
Stanford, CA 94305
My research focuses on the combination of rational and evolutionary methods to build, analyze, and optimize metabolic pathways.
- Michener JK and Smolke CD. High-throughput enzyme evolution in Saccharomyces cerevisiae using a synthetic RNA switch. Metab Eng. 2012 Jul;14(4):306-16. 
- Michener JK, Thodey K, Liang JC, Smolke CD. Applications of genetically-encoded biosensors for the construction and control of biosynthetic pathways. Metab Eng. 2012 May;14(3):212-22.