- PhD, 2012, Bioengineering at Caltech
- S.B. 2006, Chemical Engineering and Biology at MIT
- Postdoc in the Marx Lab, Harvard Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology
- Graduate student in the Smolke Lab, Caltech/Stanford Bioengineering. Collaborated with Frances Arnold (Caltech ChemE) and Jens Nielsen (Chalmers Systems Bio)
- UROP in the Endy Lab at MIT
16 Divinity Ave Room 3082
Cambridge, MA, 02138
My research focuses on the combination of rational and evolutionary methods to build, analyze, and optimize metabolic pathways.
- Michener JK, Nielsen J, and Smolke CD. Identification and Treatment of Heme Depletion due to Over-expression of a Lineage of Evolved P450 Monooxygenases. PNAS. In Press 
- Michener JK and Smolke CD. High-throughput enzyme evolution in Saccharomyces cerevisiae using a synthetic RNA switch. Metab Eng. 2012 Jul;14(4):306-16. 
- Michener JK, Thodey K, Liang JC, Smolke CD. Applications of genetically-encoded biosensors for the construction and control of biosynthetic pathways. Metab Eng. 2012 May;14(3):212-22.