Janet B. Matsen:Open Lab Questions
Return to Janet
These questions are "open" to me, not necessarily the scientific community. If you have insights or can point me toward references relevant to them, please do!
- Is it important to let chemically competent cells sit on ice 20-30 min after adding DNA? What does this do?
- Example protocol showing ice incubation
- What causes an overloaded colony PCR reaction to fail?
- How does plasmid copy number get affected by oxygen availability? Cellular media?
- I have noticed that LB often gives me orders of magnitude lower plasmid yields and that growing cultures with liquid:air volumes higher than 1:5 is not good.
- How does colony density affect colony size?
- I observe that when there is a large number of colonies per area on an agar plate, that the colonies are smaller. I have thought about the possibility of diffusion-limited arrival of nutrients, however, one would expect to see larger colonies on the outside of the cluster if this is the case.
- Why do apples make people burp? (posted 5/23/2012)