Brainstorming of Possible Adhesion Targets (feel free to add/reorganize/whatever--I just thought I'd get this started):
- textiles -- silk, wool, polyester, mnylon fibres. Could use the MIT idea to clone E coli that secrete pleasant smells and similarly bind to these fibers -- a living deodorant!
- Mosquito gut epithelial cells as targets
~~Mammalian cell surface proteins~~
- gp75 - Surface expression of gp75 on mouse melanoma cells correlates with the ability of a monoclonal antibody against gp75 to reject melanomas in syngeneic mice
~~Protozoan membrane proteins~~
- By the way, I was thinking about expressing plasmodium falciparum proteins on the surface of E coli and maybe showing somehow that an immune rxn can be elicited in mice or sthing like that e.g. in humans, "High levels of plasma chitotriosidase are a marker of macrophage activation..."
- Speaking on targets, heregoes:
- MSP-1 --> well characterized
- EBA-175, a 175 kDa 'erythrocyte binding antigen' from P. falciparum
- DBP, Duffy-binding protein from P. vivax and P. knowlesi
- SSP2, Plasmodium sporozoite surface protein-2. Also known as TRAP (thrombospondin-related adhesive protein).
- Proteins with homology to SSP2/TRAP from Toxoplasma (MIC2), Eimeria (Etp100), and Cryptosporidium
- CTRP, circumsporozoite- and TRAP-related protein of Plasmodium found in the ookinete stage
- (see http://www.tulane.edu/~wiser/malaria/cmb.html#junction)
- MSP-1 polypeptide fragments
~Viral Membrane Proteins~
- Influenza A M2 Protein
- Semliki Forest membrane proteins
- Epstein Barr LMP1/LMP2
- HIV gp120
~Cancer Membrane Proteins~
- Eag1 potassium channels
2 component systems
- We need to start researching these as well as the tagets.
- Perhaps The TF's (myself included, of course) can help point out some papers with which to start.
Cascade network structure
- Some loose brainstorming on a possible reporter network that can be activated from the membrane protein as we discussed would be beneficial as well, if we plan to do something like that.
- May be good to start with something similar to what has been done previously and hook it up to GFP.
- Some TF direction would be warranted here as well.
Btw, can we reorganize the brainstorming page to put the older brainstorming into folders or something and only have the stuff relevant to our project still on the front page? I have no idea how to do this...thanks. -Shaunak
Hope you like the formatting.