IGEM:American University/2009/Notebook/Advanced Experimental Chemistry: Fun Times in Beeghly/2013/02/01
|iGEM Project name 1|| Main project page|
Previous entry Next entry
Welcome to Advanced Experimental Chemistry
7 films were made using 0.5g PVOH (MW: 146K-186K) dissolve in 6+ mL water (more water was added as it became apparent more water was needed). Usual glutaraldehyde procedures were used.
1) PVOH and water
2) PVOH, 1mL glutaraldehyde
3) PVOH, 1mL glutaraldehyde, 0.069g Isopropanol
4) PVOH, 1mL glutaraldehyde, 0.0069g isopropanol
5) PVOH, 1mL glutaraldehyde, 0.00069g isopropanol
6) PVOH, 1mL glutaraldehyde, 0.000069g isopropanol
7) PVOH and water in a small dish
Isopropanol was measured using a serial dilution of pure isopropanol, 10% isopropanol, 1%isopropanol, and 0.1% isopropanol.
This was calculated by taking 10 mL pure isopropanol in a falcon tube. Diluting 1mL of the isopropanol with 9mL water in another tube (10%). Diluting 1mL of that with 9mL of water (1%). And finally diluting 1mL of the 1% isopropanol with 9mL water (0.1%). Thus 0.087mL of each successive dilution was added to PVOH films 3-7.