RNA Miniprep - TRIzol/ RNeasy Sping Column Combo
by Karmella Haynes, 2013
LYSE CELLS IN TRIZOL
- Suspension cells: Add up to 1x10^6 cells to a 2.0 mL microfuge tube. Spin for 5 min. at 800 xg (~3000 rpm in a standard table top centrifuge) at room temp. Discard supernatant and add 500 μL TRIzol (per 1x10^6 cells). Mix by pipetting up and down. Incubate at room temperature for 5 min. Store at -80°C or go on to the next step.
- Adherent cells:
EXTRACT RNA - PHASE SEPARATION
- Add 200 μL chloroform per 1 mL TRIzol (100 μL per 500 μL TRIzol).
- Make sure the lids are closed tightly. Mix by inverting for 20 seconds. Incubate at room temperature for 3 minutes.
- Centrifuge samples at 12,000 xg for 15 minutes at 4°C. The mixture will separate into a clear upper aqueous phase, a cloudy interphase, and a pink lower organic (phenol/ chloroform) phase.
- Carefully remove the tubes from the centrifuge. Do not disturb the phases.
- Using a micropipette, carefully transfer the clear aqueous phase to a fresh RNase-free 1.5 mL tube.