Gentamycin analog, used to select for the KanMX marker in yeast.
200mg/mL (1000X), stored at -20 C
Working concentration depends on organism and purpose of antibiotic application.
- bacteria selection: 8-16 µg/ml
- plant cell maintenance: 10 µg/ml
- plant cell selection: 25-50 µg/ml
- mammalian cell maintenance: 200 µg/ml
- mammalian cell selection: 400 µg/ml
- yeast: after transformation incubate culture at 30°C for 2-3 hours and then plate on YPD containing 200 mg/L (=µg/ml) G418.
Mode of Action
Irreversibly binds to 80S ribosomal subunit, disrupting proofreading. Can be blocked by aminoglycoside-3'-phosphotransferase.
- FAQ on G418