The Agilent 2100 BioAnalyzer is a nanofluidics device that preforms size fractionation and quantification of small samples of DNA, RNA, or Protein. In addition, the BioAnalyzer is able to preform flow cytometry on small numbers of cells. Samples can be run on the BioAnalyzer either by individual scientists or by the BioMicro Center. Most samples submitted to the BMC for analysis on the BioAnalyzer can be processed within 24 hours.
More information about the BioAnalyzer, including examples of the data that we generate in the BioMicro Center can be found on the BioAnalyzer Information page.
BioMicro Center Services
Samples may be run on the BioAnalyzer either as a full service with sample preparation done by BioMicro Center technicians, or by individual scientists as supervised users following a one hour training session by Manlin or Eris.
Samples can be dropped off in the BioMicro Center for analysis along with the SAMPLE SUBMISSION FORM. Completed analysis will be sent to your email address. Finished analysis includes the electropherogram (right) as well as automated quantification of peak volumes (mass/molarity). We also can send the data file to allow you to preform your own quantification (please indicate on the submission form).
Samples can also be run by individual users on the BioAnalyzer after a user has received training by Manlin, Allison, or Eris (Core Labs only please). This service is being run on a trial basis and will be discontinued if we find the machine is abused. We do request that you use the chips in the BioMicro Center to help us turn over our inventory (so the kits are always in date). Once you are trained in the use of the BioAnalyzer you are welcome to use the machine off business hours (please use the sign in sheet next to the BioAnalyzer). During regular business hours, you must check with someone in BMC to confirm that the machine is available.
IMPORTANT: BIOMICRO CENTER BUSINESS ALWAYS HAS PRIORITY ON THE BIOANALYZER
Sample Type Price (per chip) -------------- --------------- Training $50 (per session) DNA $40 RNA $40 small RNA $55 Protein $40 High Sens. Ptn $70 Flow Cytometry $40
Rates are slightly higher then the cost of the individual chips to include the cost of the service contract, etc.
- DNA 1000 Kit: 25bp - 1,000bp, 0.1-50ng/uL
- DNA 7500 Kit: 100bp - 7,500bp, 0.1-50ng/uL
- DNA 12000 Kit: 100bp - 12,000bp, 0.1-50ng/ul
- High Sensitivity DNA kit: 50bp - 7,000bp, 5-500pg/ul
- RNA Nano: 25-500 ng/ul total RNA
- RNA Pico: 0.05-5 ng/ul total RNA
- small RNA: 0.05-2 ng/ul miRNAs
- Protein 80 5kD- 80kD 60ng/ul
- Protein 230 14kD-230kD 30ng/ul
- High Sensitivity 10kD-250kD 0.3ng/ul
Agilent is now providing software for the analysis of BioAnalyzer data to be used on your own PCs. Users have found it somewhat clunky, but it does give you more freedom. The software is available for download from BioMicro at http://biomicro-bioanalyzer.mit.edu/ or from Agilent at http://www.chem.agilent.com/en-US/products/instruments/lab-on-a-chip/2100bioanalyzer/pages/formpage730.aspx
Software Tips and Tricks
- Click the Peak Description button on the top toolbar to switch between peak height, concentration, size, molarity, and migration time.
- Toggle the X axis to change from time to base pairs.
- Using your own standard ladder with corresponding concentrations will generate calibrations and standard curves.
- Customize your own color-coded flags.
- Changing parameters on Globing Scaling will set the same scaling standards for each sample per run.