These are methods to screen for and assay the activity of the common reporter enzyme β-Glucuronidase (GUS) activity. Because the catalytic activity of β-Glucuronidase is very similar to β-Galactosidase (LacZ) these protocols are also very similar to the LacZ protocols.
- Media of choice
- X-gluc stock solution (50mg/mL)
- Prepare your liquid media and add the desired amount of agar (usually 1-2%).
- Autoclave the media for the requisite time.
- Add 1.2μL of X-gluc stock solution for every mL of media (e.g. if making 1L of media add 1.2ml of stock solution)
- If desired, add antibiotic.
- Pour plates.