Instructors: Jacquin Niles, Alan Jasanoff, and Agi Stachowiak
Writing Instructor: Neal Lerner, Linda Sutliff
Oral Presentation Instructor: Atissa Banuazizi
TAs: Christina Birch, Xiaosai Yao, Nicole Casasnovas
Lecture: T/R 11-12 (4-237)
Lab: T/R 1-5 or W/F 1-5 (56-322)
Welcome to 20.109! For many of you this will be the first time in a research lab and for others it will not, but it is our goal to make this class a useful and fun introduction to experiments and techniques in biological engineering. There is not time enough to show you everything you’ll need to know if you go on to do research, but after taking this class you should feel confident and familiar with some fundamental experimental approaches and lab protocols. You will develop good habits at the bench, ones that will increase the likelihood of success in your work and ensure the health and safety of you and those around you. By the end of the semester, you should also be aware of good scientific practice, having had some experience with report writing, notebook keeping and publicly presenting your data. All of us involved in teaching 20.109 hope you will find it a satisfying challenge and an exciting experience that has lasting value.
- T/R lab, protein gel pics are posted on the Day 6 Talk page, should you want to have a look before next time.
- W/F lab, everyone who ran overnight had bright yellow-green pellets this morning! Final OD values are posted on the Day 5 Talk page. Feel free to calculate the volumes to use for your SDS-PAGE ahead of time :)
- T/R lab, everyone had bright yellow-green pellets after overnight growth! Final OD values are posted on the Day 5 Talk page. Feel free to calculate the volumes to use for your SDS-PAGE ahead of time :)
- W/F folks, most folks have colonies today! Looking forward to seeing what they do... I will email you if you did not get colonies so we can decide how to proceed. AgiStachowiak 16:05, 18 March 2010 (EDT)
- T/R folks, everyone has colonies today! Looking forward to seeing what they do... AgiStachowiak 09:21, 17 March 2010 (EDT)
- You can find old announcements here