Instructors: Jacquin Niles, Alan Jasanoff, and Agi Stachowiak
Writing Instructor: Neal Lerner, Linda Sutliff
Oral Presentation Instructor: Atissa Banuazizi
TAs: Christina Birch, Xiaosai Yao, Nicole Casasnovas
Lecture: T/R 11-12 (4-237)
Lab: T/R 1-5 or W/F 1-5 (56-322)
Welcome to 20.109! For many of you this will be the first time in a research lab and for others it will not, but it is our goal to make this class a useful and fun introduction to experiments and techniques in biological engineering. There is not time enough to show you everything you’ll need to know if you go on to do research, but after taking this class you should feel confident and familiar with some fundamental experimental approaches and lab protocols. You will develop good habits at the bench, ones that will increase the likelihood of success in your work and ensure the health and safety of you and those around you. By the end of the semester, you should also be aware of good scientific practice, having had some experience with report writing, notebook keeping and publicly presenting your data. All of us involved in teaching 20.109 hope you will find it a satisfying challenge and an exciting experience that has lasting value.
- M1D7 binding data files for T/R are on the Day 7 "talk" page.
- Good luck on all your exams this week, everyone!
- Missing in Day 4 methods: stock concentration of DNase is 2000 U/mL.
- Reminder: Agi will be holding office hours tonight.AgiStachowiak 11:36, 1 March 2010 (EST)
- OH will be held in 16-319, moving to 16-336 if a larger space is needed. Time is 7-8 pm.
- Intro/Methods homeworks (due on Day 5) should all be graded by then if you want to pick yours up.
- M1D5 gel photos for W/F are are on the Day 5 "talk" page.
- M1D5 gel photos for T/R are are on the Day 5 "talk" page.
- Missing in Day 3 methods: final concentration of each NTP is 7 mM.
- M1D2 gel photos for both T/R and W/F are on the Day 2 "talk" page.
- Methods announcements
- The plasmid containing the aptamers is pCR2.1-TOPO from Invitrogen.
- The PCR Master Mix was purchased from 5 Prime.
- Module 1 announcements AgiStachowiak 15:33, 8 February 2010 (EST)
- Paper options for the oral presentations have been posted on the sign-up page.
- New material has been added to the laboratory report assignment description, namely guiding questions for writing your introduction.
- You can find old announcements here