Welcome and Details for Fall 2013
Lecture: T/R 11-12 (16-220)
Lab: T/R 1-5 or W/F 1-5 (56-322)
People: Instructor and student web pages may be found at the linked People page.
Welcome to 20.109! For some of you this will be the first time in a research lab and for others it will not; either way, it is our goal to make this class a useful and fun introduction to experiments and techniques in biological engineering. There is not time enough to show you everything you’ll need to know if you go on to do research, but after taking this class you should feel confident and familiar with some fundamental experimental approaches and lab protocols. You will develop good habits at the bench, ones that will increase the likelihood of success in your work and ensure the health and safety of you and those around you. By the end of the semester, you should also be aware of good scientific practice, having had some experience with report writing, notebook keeping, and publicly presenting data and your ideas. All of us involved in teaching 20.109 hope you will find it a satisfying challenge and an exciting experience that has lasting value.
Orientation and Safety Material
On the first day of 20.109, you will take an interactive tour to get up to speed on the basics of working in a lab. The lab tour is linked here. You should also carefully read the general lab policy, which broadly covers dos and don'ts specific to our class.
We will spend a lot of time together this semester and get to know each other well. Everyone in the 20.109 family needs the support of their peers and instructors. If you find yourself in a situation where more guidance would be appreciated, here are a couple places to get it.
Later in the semester, you will want to read guidelines for working in the tissue culture facility. Stay tuned!
At any time you can refer the guidelines on using personal protective equipment developed by the Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHS) at MIT: one on eye protection (PDF download) and one on wearing lab coats (PDF download).
Finally, you can learn how to best contribute to the class wiki at the linked OWW in 20.109 page.
- Please note: the M2D6 wiki is not yet finished. I will send a class-wide email when it is ready for prime time. Very likely Friday or Saturday. Thanks for your patience. Shannon
- Please see your email for a link to the M2D4 pre-lab video. Also, Shannon will hold OH this week on Monday (10/21) from 2-3pm in 16-429b and Wednesday (10/23) from 7-8pm in the lab.
- And Agi will hold office hours from 2-3 pm the same day (Wed, 10/16) also in the lab.
- Shannon will have a rescheduled office hour on Wednesday (10/16) from 7-8pm in the lab. Shannon
- Lizzie: Let me know if I forgot to return anyone's notebook. Otherwise, good luck, class! It was nice meeting all of you :)
- You can find old announcements here