Instructors: Angela Belcher, Bevin Engelward, Natalie Kuldell and Agi Stachowiak
Writing Instructor: Neal Lerner, Linda Sutliff
Oral Presentation Instructor: Atissa Banuazizi
Graduate TAs: Tyler DeWitt, Michelle Sukup Jackson, Bridget Wall
Lecture: T/R 11-12 (26-168)
Lab: T/R 1-5 or W/F 1-5 (56-322)
Seminar Room: 16-336
Welcome to 20.109! For many of you this will be the first time in a research lab and for others it will not, but it is our goal to make this class a useful and fun introduction to experiments and techniques in biological engineering. There is not time enough to show you everything you’ll need to know if you go on to do research, but after taking this class you should feel confident and familiar with some fundamental experimental approaches and lab protocols. You will develop good habits at the bench, ones that will increase the likelihood of success in your work and ensure the health and safety of you and those around you. By the end of the semester, you should also be aware of good scientific practice, having had some experience with report writing, notebook keeping and publicly presenting your data. All of us involved in teaching 20.109 hope you will find it a satisfying challenge and an exciting experience that has lasting value.
- To submit your major assignments, access the Stellar drop-box that's here
- Agi's pre-(progress report) office hours will be on Sunday from 4-5:30 pm, in room 16-336. She will also be available on Tuesday from 3-4 pm, in room 16-319. (The latter session will be to address quick conceptual/writing questions only, not for intensive assistance.)
- NK will have office hours in advance of due date for the Mod 1 Progress Reports--stop by lab from 3-5 on Saturday Oct 3rd if you have questions.
- The results are in! You can examine the amount of DNA you've recovered from the purification of bkb and insert out of agarose. Gels are posted here.. Thanks Michelle!
- We'll be staying in 26-168 since it's way better than 66-144.
- We're still working on finding a better lecture room but for Thursday Sept 17th we'll meet in 26-168.
- As of the morning on 09.15.09, the registrar's office has not yet given us a different room for lecture so we'll meet in 66-144 once more today.
- You can find old announcements here